The midnight training run1

I know my disciples will forgive me, but God won’t forgive me for exploiting their devoted oneness by asking them to come at such an ungodly hour — midnight — to help me in my training run in Flushing Meadow Park last January.

The day before, of all days, I decided I would run seven miles during the day, although I knew that I would try to run a training marathon at night. Who asked me to run five or six miles? I did one mile of hill work up 150th Street in the morning. Then I ran two miles. Later I did one mile of speed work and one mile at an eight-minute pace. Then how I suffered during my long training run!

Was it my mental hallucination that it was so cold? Usually I go out at five in the morning, but it is not as cold as it was that night. At times I felt as if a bullet were passing through my chest. Then I stepped in a puddle and my left foot started burning. Inwardly I was screaming because my sock and shoe were burning with the absolutely icy cold! I always wear long underwear under my trousers, but that night I wore only a nylon running suit. Right from the beginning, the muscles in my legs were so cold. I wasn’t wearing enough on my hands either, although I had on two pairs of gloves.

I said, “If I finish 20 miles, then I will be satisfied.” I had already given up the idea of doing a whole marathon.

I am so grateful to each of the disciples who was there. All those who ran with me and those who sang throughout the night, standing at different places, were so compassionate. Hundreds of songs they sang. Each one deserves my very special gratitude. When they make such sacrifices for me, I hope they feel my heart’s undying gratitude. If I have gratitude in any form, is it not for these disciples? Luckily I have them as my disciples. Had I been their disciple, I would have stayed in bed. I am speaking very sincerely. I would have said, “I am sick. I have got this to do, I have got that to do.” Next time, if I do a midnight training run again, perhaps all of my disciples will say they have fallen sick. That is why they could not come.

  1. RB 712. 1 April 1983

Attack by dogs1

Early in the morning, around 5:30, I went out to run four miles. As I was running back, I was in my highest meditation. Right near my house, two huge, ferocious dogs — no exaggeration — came chasing after me from the other side of the street. They were barking and jumping up at me. One was right in front of me and one was on the side. One jumped right up to my chest and one was at my elbow. They were almost touching my chest and elbow — it was a matter not of a foot but of inches. I couldn’t jog, I couldn’t walk. I had to use my occult power — I still have some left — so they wouldn’t bite me.

For four miles I had been meditating, so was it my karma? You might say that perhaps the previous day I had done a bad meditation, but I knew for the past half hour what I had done. The mind was not thinking at all; it had not yet started with Centre problems. I was doing only prayer and meditation, but the hostile forces are all around. Luckily, my prayer-power saves me always. I was praying to the Supreme, “Save me, save me!” and the Supreme did save me.

Then I went onto my porch and was sitting on the couch watching the dogs. For three or four minutes I was on my porch looking at them and they were looking at me. One was brown and one was black and white. The brown one stood right in front of my house.

I called Ashrita, and he came with Thomas, Bipin and Pulin. I told them, “Please try to solve this dog problem!” Ashrita put a hole in his pants and blood on his arm and pretended he had been bitten. Then they went to complain to the lady who allows the dogs to stay behind her house. They also went to the police.

Four months ago I had the same experience. It is not like silly barking. These dogs are really attacking! This has been happening again and again with the same two dogs. They always come chasing after me from behind this lady’s house. The lady says they are not hers, but she and her husband won’t let anyone take the dogs away.

A few months ago I was going down the street and five or six dogs came. What are you going to do? I wanted to enter into the house of the old lady who is my friend. I stood in front of her house, hiding behind a tree. I said, “O God, this is the time for me to knock on her door — at 4:30 in the morning!” I was about to knock on her door, but then the dogs went away.

This time I didn’t get a chance even to stop. If you see them five or ten metres ahead, you can pretend you are walking and maybe they won’t attack. But this time I didn’t have a chance to stop, because the dogs came from behind. The best thing is to have something in your hand. One time I looked for something and found a ball, so I pretended it was a rock.

  1. RB 713. 2 April 1983

Welcoming committee1

Around five o’clock when I go out to run immediately one of my dogs, Kanu, starts crying. Then, when I come sneaking back like a thief, Kanu is up waiting for me on the porch. Even if I turn off the light, the dogs know it is me.

  1. RB 714. 2 April 1983


This morning I went out running in shorts. It was so bad outside — raining cats and dogs! On the sidewalk there were so many puddles! But when I descended to the street I came across even more puddles. Then I would go back up onto the sidewalk again. Everywhere there were puddles. The rain was falling like arrows, but I still ran two miles.

  1. RB 715. 3 April 1983

Looking at my picture1

During our 12-hour walk, some of the walkers were looking at my picture. I thought they were reading. At 3:30 in the morning, when I saw Agraha go by holding something in his hand, I thought he was learning songs. I knew he was not a singer, so I wondered why he was learning songs. No, he was looking at my picture for inspiration.

For some people to do something on the physical plane is such a difficult task! I am the pioneer. I walked 19 miles today. I am extremely proud of myself. The first time I stopped after eight laps. The next time I did five laps, and then I did six. So it came to 19. If I could have continued from the beginning to the end, I could have done 30 miles.

  1. RB 716. 13 April 1983

You have to drink!1

In the Boston Marathon I ran for a while and then walked slower than the slowest. An old man grabbed me by the shoulder and said, “Your heart is working very hard. You have to drink!”

I said, “No, thank you.”

But he said, “You have to!” and he forced me to drink.

Because I was tired, he sympathised with me.

  1. RB 717. 20 April 1983

Can I shake hands with you?1

While I was practising before the start of the Long Island Marathon, someone came up to me and asked, “Are you Master Sri Chinmoy?”

I said, “Yes.”

He said, “Can I shake hands with you?”

So I shook hands with him. He was saying to his wife, “He is such a kind man.”

At the start of the marathon, one lady ran with me for three or four miles. She was wearing all yellow. Then she asked Lucy if I was Sri Chinmoy.

  1. RB 718. 1 May 1983

Nature is so cruel!1

Nature is so cruel to us! To run 26 miles is not enough. It also has to be so windy and cold! Is it a joke? We say nature is kind. We are all the time trying to be as natural as possible and become one with nature’s beauty. But nature has been so hostile to us — both in the Jersey Shore and the Long Island Marathons.

  1. RB 719. 1 May 1983

Under three hours1

At least three times Janani has been kind enough to remind me of the promise that the soul of Japan made to me — that I would do the marathon in under three hours. I said to her, “All right, I will ask your husband to do it on my behalf, since he and I are one.”

  1. RB 720. 3 May 1983

Oneness with the soul1

Last night I ran four miles and walked two miles. Then we drove six miles in the car.

Databir’s calculations were going wrong because his mind was not functioning. Indian kindergarten students could have done better arithmetic. Mentally I knew he was wrong. I was writing the figures on a paper plate and calculating mentally. His calculations were three or four seconds off.

Just as I finished writing my calculations, I saw Anugata’s soul inside the car. I smiled at the soul and blessed it. Then, not a minute later, Databir told me that he had written down a message from Anugata on the other side of the plate.

Anugata had called the previous night from California to say he had found a place on Long Island that has a belt to support my back. The place has 24-hour service, so Databir and Pulin had phoned up the place. It was 2:30 in the morning. Today they will go to get the belt.

Last night Anugata’s soul had also come to me for special blessings and love. Perhaps the soul had come to me right after he had finished talking with them. And this morning, when they were about to tell me that he had called, his soul came a second time. So this is our oneness with the soul.

  1. RB 721. 3 May 1983

The screaming man1

I was walking and running around 6:15 this morning. Some people who had crossed to the other side of the street came back when they saw me to say, “Good morning!”

Then I saw a black man on a bicycle. He was so excited to see me that he started screaming, “Sri Chinmoy, Sri Chinmoy!”

How do these people know me? I was wearing a hat that practically covered my head, and it was early in the morning. Databir was following me in his car, and he was wondering why the man was screaming.

  1. RB 722. 7 May 1983

The dispute1

Yesterday, when we were running four miles at a little over a 7:30 pace, Databir had no trouble running with me. But when we started race-walking, he fell behind me. Ashrita said he was 400 metres behind, but Databir said it was only 200 metres!

  1. RB 723. 7 May 1983

Some unique running styles1

This year, after the Long Island Marathon, I couldn’t believe the way Pulak surrendered to one of the helpers at the finish line. It was absolutely unconditional surrender! After finishing he was so helpless.

Pulak’s running style is unique! Then comes Saurjya’s style — he wants to touch the ceiling with his head while running.

The other day I saw Sudhir running early in the morning. His hands were stretched straight out.

Once, while race-walking, Baoul looked as if he was doing archery with his arms.

  1. RB 724. 7 May 1983

The clock1

One night I was in my room reading my walking book. At about 1:45 a.m. I called the San Francisco Centre. Susan and 10 or 12 people were there. Then I saw the time — 2:05. So I rested. Then I heard the clock say, “It is three a.m.” so powerfully. Every hour this clock announces the time. I said, “I am not going running yet. I want to hear it say another hour.”

Again at 4:00 it was so faithful. It said, “It is four a.m.” But I was just sitting there, praying and praying for God-realisation. Then it became 5:00. I started getting ready, doing a few stretching exercises. At exactly 5:30 I phoned up Databir. In ten minutes he found me with his car. He always catches up with me on Union Turnpike.

  1. RB 725. 7 May 1983