Fifty short bengali songsOn 27 December 1977, fifty short Bengali songs written and composed by Sri Chinmoy were sung by three different groups of the Master’s disciples. In addition to learning all of the 50 songs, each group was responsible for arranging four of the songs as rounds, and for learning and singing the rounds arranged by the other two groups. Each of the three performances of 38 songs and 12 rounds took between 45 and 55 minutes. The Bengali transliterations and English translations appear below.
Songs1. Janabi bege enke jai mor rupantarer chabi
At the speed of the fast-flowing Ganga, I have been working on my transformation-picture.
2. Usha bala elo dhire aji dhire hridaya gabhire
Slowly, very slowly, the virgin dawn appears in the very depths of my aspiration-heart.
3. Tumi esecho badhar dwar tumi bengecho
O Lord Supreme, You have arrived, smashing asunder the obstruction-door.
4. Jibane marane ashar swapane phutibo gopane
In silence my reality-existence will blossom in the hearts of life and death.
5. Jiban amar mor bidhata kripar pathar
My human life embodies the measureless Compassion of my Beloved Supreme.
6. Ektu hasi bhangbe amar khudra hiyar timir nishi
O Lord, one Smile of Yours will destroy the darkest night of my little heart.
7. Ananda bhola nirvana dola tunga ala chinmoy bhela
Self-enraptured in the swing of nirvana, the boat of Consciousness infinite is spreading pinnacle-light.
8. Eso ananda alokananda khudita hridaya majhe
O Infinity’s Light, Eternity’s Delight-Light, do descend into my hungry heart’s endless hunger.
9. Chanchala man dure rakhi chanchala mor man
I keep aside my restless mind; always I keep it aside.
10. Taruner asha puma haibe ekatha janabo
I shall let the entire world know that the green hope of the green generation will without fail be fulfilled.
11. Jharna-kala jharna-kala dodula puma
O Fountain-Art, Fountain-Art, you are complete all-where. In you I see the cosmic Swing of the Reality infinite.
12. Turjya surjya dhurjya pujya jago jago jago
Awake, O peerless height, O sound without a second. Awake, O measureless patience. O eternally adorable One in me, awake.
13. Shibire khunji mandire puji
I look for You in the fortress of life’s dire battles. I look for You at the hallowed shrine of life’s temples.
14. Jatri amara manena ratri manina
Asimer pathe jatri amara satya trishita jatri
We are the pilgrims who defy the mandate of night. We are thirsting for Truth Transcendental while walking along the beginningless and endless road of life.
15. Asha hara mor manera banera benu
The flute of my mind-garden is empty of hope today.
16. Antare bahire swarge martye tumi shudhu sathi
You are my only Friend in the inner world and in the outer world. You are my Friend without a second in my soul-existence-life and my body-existence-strife.
17. Sanga halo jihan asha maran dila dekha
My hope-life has come to an end. The Prince of Gloom has finally and irrevocably arrived.
18. Premik ami khunji ekaki hriday tale amare
I am a God-lover and a man-lover. All my life, all by myself, I have been searching for my reality’s self-form.
19. Balo tumi amai prabhu bhalobaso
O Lord Supreme, do tell me only once that You are all love for me.
20. Bhalo lage jiban maran bhalo lage
My life’s death and my death’s life soulfully, without a second, I love.
22. Agni vina prane baje taito nachi
The lyre of fire is now being played; therefore, I dance here, there and all-where.
23. Badala nabhe madala baje pagol halo hiya
My heart is now enjoying a God-intoxicated insanity because of the sound of wild thunder and the charming kettledrum of the blue-vast sky.
24. Jiban nadi sukaye jai kena janina
I know not why my life-river has come to a halt. I know not why dryness has assailed its existence-light.
25. Chalar pathe chalbo asar sathe nachbo
I shall walk along Eternity’s road. I shall dance eternally with hope.
26. Nil akasher ami nil pakhi
Indeed, I am the blue bird of the blue sky. I am the blue bird of the blue welkin.
28. Akutir prem dan bhakatir madhu pan
The love-offering of aspiration-light and the drinking of devotion-light are inseparably one.
29. Kandite parina ar hasite parina ar
No more am I inspired to cry. No more am I inspired to smile.
30. Dhular majhare lukabo amar shir
Inside the sand cave I shall hide my haughty head.
31. Japibo japer mala dibanishi
I shall count the weeks by rosary with two sleepless eyes and one sleepless heart.
32. Debatar mandire ami nachi
I dance in all my being, inside the blessingfully hallowed temple of the cosmic gods.
33. Ami habo nishiter aratir shikha
I shall be the worship-flame of sleepless night.
34. Premer prasade bandi amar hiya
I shall find my crying heart and place it in Your love-inundated palace.
35. Arati ghanta bajabo bidhata bajabo
I shall ring the bell of my soulful self-offering, O my Lord Supreme.
36. Pushpa rathe pradip mala jwale
A row of lamps is burning very bright in the chariot of flower-beauty and flower-purity.
37. Abar asibo phire jananir kripa nire
I shall once more return to the loving nest of my Mother Dear and Mother Sweet.
38. Sandhya batase nachi sandhya akase uri
I dance with the evening breeze. I fly in the evening sky.
39. Tomar amar majh kane dharai ke aj ke jane
Nobody on earth knows what was borne between You and me, and what abides between us today.
40. Ami kandi ami hasi palir ghare
I cry and I smile, for inside me are affection-flooded hamlets.
41. Bhakti amar shakti habe shakti habe mukti
My devotion-heart will become my power-life. My power-life will become my liberation-soul.
42. Sanga halo karma hasi tomar pada tale
At Your Feet divine my sorrow-world and my happiness-world have completed their respective roles.
43. Chaowar asha bhalobasa bhalobasa
A life of longing is all love. A life of hope is all love.
44. Dure dure bahu dure tomar pabo dekha
I shall catch a glimpse of You at the farthest corner of the world, and in the world beyond.
45. Nimesh hara nayan khudha jage aji
In me awakens the sleepless vision-hunger today.
46. Bajna haje bajna baje asha hiyar gabhire
The music-world reverberates in the inmost recesses of my hope-heart.
47. Nirab aji hridaye tale tomar parase
Your silent touch has filled me, my all, in the very depth of my heart.
48. Alor swapan nandana ban amare dake
The dream of Light divine and the beauty of Eden are beckoning you.
49. Ashru amar jharena tomar lagi khama karo prabhu
O my Lord Supreme, forgive me. I have failed to shed tears while longing for You.
50. Tomar paye amar amire sanpibo
I shall surrender my little “I” to You, and place it at Your Feet.