Table of Contents
Part I — Ignorance
Part II — Questions and answers
- Question: What is ignorance? I don't understand what it is.
- Question: When did ignorance first strike us?
- Question: From the spiritual point of view what is the difference between stupidity and ignorance?
- Question: If a person has something like a brain defect and in this incarnation is like a vegetable, will he suffer even if he is not outwardly conscious or aware of his defect?
Part III — Pain and suffering
Part IV — Questions and answers
- Question: Why do we have to pass through sad experiences such as suffering and sorrow?
- Question: I feel unhappy when I think of the suffering that is going on in the world, that children are starving and things like that.
- Question: Is there any spiritual significance to the energy crises, wars and other problems the world is having now?
- Question: When I read the newspapers and see all the suffering and violence in the world, it upsets me.
- Question: Often when I know I am coming to meditation, I develop a swollen gland or a headache. Is there a connection between this and my looking forward to this occasion?
- Question: Why does a God-realised Yogi suffer?
- Question: How can we understand the suffering of Jesus on the Cross when he said, "My God, my God, why hast Thou forsaken me?"
- Question: Why do I feel a kind of pain when I create something?
- Your sadness immeasurable
Part V — Negative forces
- My choice
- Question: What are negative forces?
- Question: If we are nice to others, won't they be nice to us?
- Question: Do wars result from the fact that we have not been able to reconcile our lives to our souls?
- Question: Where are the hostile forces located?
- Question: Under what circumstances are the hostile forces most likely to attack us?
- Editor's introduction to the first edition